14 October 2013

New beginning

It's fitting that my triathlon comeback starts today.

Yesterday was spent following the live coverage of 2013 Ironman World Championships in Hawaii.

Yesterday also heralded twelve months since I crossed that magic finish line on Ali'i Drive myself.  

I'm a seven time Ironman finisher and four of these have been achieved on the Big Island - magic for someone who made doing an Ironman a bucket list wish, supposedly one off, for their 50th year. 

From the high of a 6th place at Kona in 2012, and a week after entering Ironman Cairns, my life took a dramatic turn when, just a few weeks later, I was diagnosed with a return of colectoral cancer.

"Inoperable", they said initially, but my wonderful oncologist to whom I had been referred, said "You are so fit I want to explore surgical options further".

So here I am a year after my last Kona, having undergone a number of procedures and finally surgery in early February which removed various bits and pieces (including a kidney).  That was followed by chemotherapy for six months.  A far cry from the Ironman Cairns I expected to be doing!

All that experience is best forgotten - except for the fantastic support I received from Daryl, Jess & Jude, Pete & Vicki, family and friends and also from my wonderful tri friends who now encourage me to believe that "Anything is Possible".

It's fitting that my triathlon comeback starts today having received good follow up scan & blood test results last week and a tick to "resume normal life".

"Normal life" for me includes triathlon.  Swim, bike, run has been a huge part of my life for the best part of twenty years and I see no reason to change that now.  

Wish me luck in my bid to become a Comeback Queen!

Goal:  Ironman 70.3 Hawaii - May 2014.




This time last year - view from our balcony in Hawaii

1 comment:

  1. wow that's quite the story! best to you! You are one tough cookie!

    ReplyDelete