21 July 2014

Add a little determination

In an effort to impress our accountant, this past week I made my way through a pile of statements and receipts hoping to get a jump on tax return preparation. 

Commenced with the very best of intentions, those return details are still incomplete but please don't let on about that.

You see, I got sidetracked when I happened across a box filled with an eclectic collection of old triathlon related "stuff".  

Newspaper clippings, magazine articles, jokes, photos etc saved from the now long gone days when I produced newsletters using the cut and paste method with real scissors and glue and then spent hours at the photocopier!  

So there I was off on a tangent and one thing lead to another and suddenly I found myself flicking through a pile of old triathlon results.  

Which then got me thinking (as I followed my shaky progress through the various age groups via those results booklets) about when is the right time to give it all away?

I've kept thinking about this, on and off, as I recommenced training this week and my body moaned and groaned a little under the strain.

Then last night I was keeping half an eye on the live race tracking from Challenge Roth.

I've a soft spot for both Luke McKenzie and Daniel MacPherson and both guys were competing, as was Sister Madonna Buder, Stef Hanson of Witsup.com fame, Holly Bennett (Triathlete mag & fellow wearer of all things SOAS Racing)  and there were two in my category (one I knew from Kona).


Kissing my cheek brings good tri luck (seriously)

So there I was up late and tracking, hoping to stay awake long enough to watch Luke cross the line, which he did in 8:37:33 for 10th Pro Male. I'm sure he wanted to do better but it seemed he didn't have the best of swims and then lost his nutrition on the bike.  

Around the time Luke finished, Dan kind of dropped off the tracker so that was when I called time and headed for bed straight after Mirinda Carfrae won in 8:38:53.

Checking results & updates this morning, it turned out both guys ended up in the medical tent, and Dan recorded his first ever dnf. 

Stef had a not so perfect day, going 12:37:33 and Roth also hurt Holly who came in at 13:58:14.

My fellow age grouper acquaintance was pretty stoked to finish in 14:48:10 but it appears to have been a very tough day at the office.

And what of Madonna Buder, participating at 80 something years old?  


Madonna Buder at Kona in 2012

The woman has been inspirational but given my thoughts during the week, I wondered if her body would again say enough is enough as it did at Kona that year.

Although there is a finish time showing on her record (16:48:00) and as much as I'd love to think she did it, there is a grey area & some conjecture over that time.

The cut off for the bike is 9 hrs 30 mins.  At 8:30:19 she still had 60km of the bike to complete. Twitter world says she was picked up during the bike and taken to the finish.  Some social media reports then say she did 17km of the run.  Photos have been published of her in the finish chute accepting the accolades of the crowd, finisher rose in hand. 

I hope there is clarification on this soon.

But back to my pondering on when do you call it quits.  Madonna Buder may turn out to not have finished Challenge Roth but at the tender age of 83 she started it, which is more than many ever do!

So I'd still like to think that ...



I've got my Challenge Laguna Phuket goal in place for later this year and Modonna Buder was inspiration enough to add a little more determination to that dream. 

No comments:

Post a Comment